Thursday, June 04, 2009

If abortion were murder

Dr. George Tiller was murdered this week by an anti-abortion coward with a gun.

But maybe he wasn't a coward, but a bold principled warrior for the anti-abortion movement.

Suppose you believe unequivocally that "abortion is murder," just as the bumper stickers proclaim. You see would-be mothers as accomplices to murder and abortion providers as mass-murderers, with sometimes thousands more victims than the cruelest serial killers. Dr. Tiller was "the concentration camp 'Mengele' of our day," as the killer, Scott Roeder, wrote in 2007.

You also recognize that stopping this mass-murder through peaceful legal means has largely failed. Abortion remains legal 35 years after Roe v. Wade, despite the occasional successes of anti-abortion advocates (e.g., the recently repealed global gag rule, the ban on 'partial birth' abortion, the Henry Hyde amendment that screws poor women by restricting federal Medicaid dollars, etc.). Of course you'd prefer peaceful legal advocacy, but in 35 years, the anti-abortion movement has failed to reverse the law. So you begin to examine other options to combat the status quo. After all, nearly everyone believes in the occasional necessity of war and violence.

You could slow the mass-murder of the unborn by murdering just one person - and not just any person but a murderer who promises to murder again (excuse "murder" but I'm working within their paradigm). Why not pick up a gun? Most people would also murder one person to save many (that is, the person who'd be responsible for the death of many - not any random passerby) - or at least respect someone who did (or tried). In Tiller's case, it really was that straightforward. Fewer abortions will happen now that he's gone, if only because fewer doctors, fearing violence, will provide the procedure. So Tiller's murderer seems more savvy and principled than deranged. In fact, unless you believe all killing is wrong (very unlikely), the killer's actions made sense.

Abolitionist John Brown, who understood in 1859 that slavery could not be ended peacefully and organized the still-controversial raid of the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry, might sympathize.

My question: Why did so many anti-abortion activists rush out on the Sunday afternoon of the murder to denounce the action? The National Right to Life Committee announced it opposes "any form of violence to fight the violence of abortion." Americans United for Life stated that "the foundational right to life that our work is dedicated to extends to everyone," and disowned the killer completely: "Roeder is most definitely not part of the pro-life movement." Sarah Palin wrote that "the tragedy that took place today in Kansas clearly violates respect for life."

Were they worried about their own criminal liability, perhaps for inciting violence? No, I think not. Bill O'Reilly stood by his anti-Tiller crusade (video): "Nazi stuff," "operating a death mill," "executing babies for 5,000 dollars," "if I could get my hands on him," etc. And it's certainly not that the pro-life movement actually believes in life. The same people support the death penalty (and war). Nor were they merely concerned for their image (though they were). Perhaps they condemned the murder out of respect for the rule of law. That's possible, though I imagine that abortion opponents see themselves as answering to a higher power.

No, they condemned the murder because deep down, I think, the vast majority do not actually equate the abortion of a fetus with the death of a human being. Abortion isn't murder after all. Or it's murder with an asterisk.

Still, there are always a few principled literalists who take the "abortion is murder" slogan seriously. It's terrifying to think that another abortion provider could be gunned down by yet another religious zealot. These stalwarts of the anti-abortion movement will not be swayed by appeals to women's rights. Dr. Tiller's murder has forced us to return to the basics - the dreaded "when does life begin" question and the "personhood" debate (ugh) that I'd rather see disappear - and to explain (somehow) that fetuses are not entitled or actual lives, and that while our obligations extend to future people (both in particular cases and as a society), they do not extend to potential people. And until the woman decides to carry to term, a fetus is nothing more than a potential person.

But America isn't suddenly going to come around. The mainstream "pro-life" movement has not only harnessed the power of conservative hate speech but is also politically savvy enough to have disowned its hitman, Scott Roeder. Perhaps abortion foes will one day have the courage to admit that abortion, however undesirable, is something other than murder. Until then, let's hope they continue to disregard the meaning of their slogan and the dangerous imperative it may present.

9 comments:

Eli said...

Frank Schaeffer, a former anti-abortion leader, says he's sorry he contributed to Dr. Tiller's murder. He says he didn't actually intend for people to take his abortion-is-murder position literally. Does that mean that he didn't himself believe what he was writing? That's the big lie that he and anti-abortion leaders still perpetuate: that abortion is murder, just like murder is murder. It's not, and they know it and they don't say it. So, dude, fuck off. Stop pretending you're a courageous truth-teller. You're still deflecting blame for your insidious words from yourself to the people who were somehow deluded enough to take you seriously.

Frank Schaeffer, "How I (and Other "Pro-Life" Leaders) Contributed to Dr. Tiller's Murder."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/how-i-and-other-pro-life_b_209747.html

"[My father] compared America and its legalized abortion to Hitler's Germany and said that whatever tactics would have been morally justified in removing Hitler would be justified in trying to stop abortion. I said the same thing in a book I wrote (A Time For Anger) that right wing evangelicals made into a best seller. ... Like many writers of moral/political/religious theories my father and I would have been shocked that someone took us at our word, walked into a Lutheran Church and pulled the trigger on an abortionist. But even if the murderer never read Dad's or my words we helped create the climate that made this murder likely to happen."

Eli said...

This post made it to Nathan's text-ticker:
http://www.therowboat.com/2009/06/if-abortion-were-murder/

He provides a quick and lucid summary of my post:

"Eli has a powerful post today about the consequences of the slogan “abortion is murder.” If adherents really believe that [abortion equals murder], they either

(1) are really ineffective at forcibly stopping a concerted mass-murder campaign all around them by unarmed, often quite pudgy, perfectly vulnerable doctors;

(2) are believers in radical nonviolence (which the tendency of many such people to support wars of choice makes me doubt);

(3) don’t really mean what they say."

I think it's a combination of 1 and 3, but almost entirely 3.

There's a bit of a discussion happening over there. Chime in.

Brandon said...

I already made a rebuttal to your post here: http://www.therowboat.com/2009/06/if-abortion-were-murder/

... and I'll likely make another soon.

However, I wanted to reciprocate your idea that we "pro-lifers" don't really mean what we say. You say that since we claim that abortion is mass murder, and yet we're not flipping out over this insanity every single second (OMG MASS MURDER!!!) then we don't really believe that murder is occurring.

I'd like to suggest the very same thing to you. You say that "abortion, however undesirable, is something other than murder." Well, if abortion does not take the life of an innocent human being, as you seem to suggest, then why is it "undesirable"? If no humans are killed, then have as many abortions as you want. It would be as benign as removing an abscessed tooth and no justification would be needed.

BUT, if abortion DOES take the life of an innocent human being, then it is not only "undesirable" but completely heinous (a murder, in fact) and no justification would be adequate.

What I'm suggesting is that deep down all pro-choicers know that what they are killing isn't a lifeless lump of cells, but a unique, individual person. Otherwise YOUR rhetoric wouldn't be so apologetic all of the time.

What I believe is the core of the issue is exactly what you want to avoid: The Personhood Debate. This is murder, or it's nothing.

Hope said...

What's your distinction between a future person and a potential person?

Eli said...

Hope, one day, a future post...

Brandon, a couple points, continuing my comment on Nathan's blog.

1. You write, "This is murder, or it's nothing." If that's true, why are abortion foes so riled up about late-term abortions in particular. Isn't it all murder? Also, late-term abortions (after 21 weeks, about two weeks shy of viability) constitute just 1.1% of the 1.2 million abortions each year in the United States, or about 13,200 abortions. Abortion foes expend enough energy on that 1.1% to suggest that from even from the anti-abortion perspective, a 2-week fetus doesn't equal a 21-week fetus. Anyway, I don't want to argue about personhood. That'd be a waste of time for both of us, and it feels silly, like arguing about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict on facebook. But because I can't resist, and it's my blog: Your murder-or-nothing position is reminiscent of the kind of primitive reasoning endemic to American religious conservatives that leads people to say things like "you're with us or against us." Are there no grey areas?

2. Is abortion "undesirable," as even some pro-choices say? I don't think so. It's undesirable only because women need to endure the shaming that abortion foes inflict on them. Abortion is a morally neutral act. We only have responsibilities to a fetus if it will eventually become a person.

3. You write: "What I'm suggesting is that deep down all pro-choicers know that what they are killing isn't a lifeless lump of cells, but a unique, individual person. Otherwise YOUR rhetoric wouldn't be so apologetic all of the time."

First, not all pro-choicers. I don't think a fetus is a person. We don't have responsibilities to it.

Second, many choices reject your binary between "lifeless lump of cells" and "unique, individual person." They think a fetus is something of a human life, but not so much that aborting it would constitute murder. Even these folks recognize the need to keep abortion legal. Why? Because it's simply not a do-no-harm world. Not every family is prepared to raise a child, or a child with a severe disability, or to risk the woman's life. Raising children is a moral responsibility. Many people realize it'd be wrong to bring someone into the world who would be resented by his/her parents for even existing, who will not be cared for properly, etc. And many people aren't willing to put themselves through nine months of pregnancy only to put the newborn up for adoption.

So abortion has to remain a viable option.

I think pro-choice rhetoric is sometimes apologetic about the moral status of the fetus (clearly I wish we weren't) because they see the ultrasounds and feel the kicking and know we're no longer talking about a Disney-esque little semen guy swimming for an egg. That's understandable. Moral ambiguity is real, as much as some religious conservatives don't recognize it.

Anyway, to me, it's absurd to debate whether a fetus has the moral status of a human. If that's the discussion you want to have, Brandon, I'm afraid you'll have to go elsewhere.

But thanks for your thoughtful exchange.

Brandon said...

my responses to the above:

1) I never mentioned late-term abortions, but since you brought it up, I think they are no more murder than any abortion would be. However it is an easier place to start our battle. It is very hard to deny the fact that a baby two minutes from birth is a person by any philosophical means. But, just because this is a "front line", so to speak, doesn't mean that we hold other forms of abortion in any less seriousness.

2) In your blog post you said

"Perhaps abortion foes will one day have the courage to admit that abortion, however undesirable, is something other than murder."

yet in your response you said

"Is abortion 'undesirable,' as even some pro-choices say? I don't think so. It's undesirable only because women need to endure the shaming that abortion foes inflict on them."

Clearly, in your post you were not referencing undue shame that pro-lifers place on mothers. If so, you wouldn't have addressed your comment to "abortion foes". I'm not trying to nitpick words here, just trying to show the apologetic language everyone uses toward abortion, even when you don't realize you are doing it.


3) You said that it is both "understandable" and "absurd" to view a fetus as a human being.

you said:
"...they see the ultrasounds and feel the kicking and know we're no longer talking about a Disney-esque little semen guy swimming for an egg. That's understandable."

yet two sentences later:

"Anyway, to me, it's absurd to debate whether a fetus has the moral status of a human."

If it is understandable to view a fetus as a person after seeing an ultrasound or feeling it kick, then why do you claim that personhood is an absurd debate? Obviously, its not absurd to the expectant mothers you were referencing.


Lastly, I am disappointed yet not surprised that you refuse to debate when a person receives their full human status. This is a topic that I have never heard a pro-choicer fully explain satisfactorily.

However, I do hope that you have given the subject lots of thought. Someone that holds a position justifying abortion should certainly make sure that what they are killing isn't alive.

Eli said...

I understand your explanation of the anti-choice focus on late-term abortions as a matter of strategy, not principles. Very well.

Understandable to others but absurd "to me" is not a contradiction.

In the original post, I said "however undesirable" referring to the perspective of abortion foes. To make that more clear, I should have said "however undesirable to them." Yes, some choicers also consider it undesirable. I and some others do not. Your assertion that choicers are always apologetic about abortion is simply not true (not to mention condescending in telling us what we really believe).

I was saying that even people who are apologetic about abortion recognize (or ought to recognize) the importance of abortion remaining legal and accessible. Some pro-choice rhetoric is "apologetic" specifically to appeal to this crowd. That makes sense - they're the "middle ground" that each side is trying to convince. But anyway, I'm comfortable with the diversity within the pro-choice movement. We may have different ideas of the moral status of the fetus, but bottom line, we believe in a women's right to an abortion, free from taunting and intimidation.

Look, I debated the "when does life begin" question as a college first-year. That was a while ago, and my views haven't changed. It's a distraction that only serves the interests of anti-choicers. I'm not going to engage on it.

Brandon said...

"Your assertion that choicers are always apologetic about abortion is simply not true (not to mention condescending in telling us what we really believe)."

Fine. I'll concede that. But if you really think that telling others what they believe is condescending then maybe we should both abstain from it.

from your article:
"No, they condemned the murder because deep down, I think, the vast majority do not actually equate the abortion of a fetus with the death of a human being."

Interesting analysis of the "middle-ground". I guess that's really where we should both be targeting. True believers are kind of a hard sell, no?

Eli said...

Seriously, dude. True believers are off the deep end. We'd each have more luck debating a wall. Nonviolently, of course.