Sunday, December 16, 2007

Fired up, ready to go!

I'm coming out of the closet. I'm supporting Barack Obama for President.

First, policies:

Obama's health plan has been criticized for eschewing a mandate (at least at first) for people over age 17. From what I know about health insurance policy, I think I'd prefer a mandate. In the Netherlands, where residents are required to purchase insurance from one of several private companies (some for-profit, others non-profit), coverage extends to 98.5% of the population. But this mandate-or-no-mandate debate is overblown, despite what the Clinton campaign says. The quibble, says the NYT's Matt Bai, is "like watching a couple of homeless guys argue over which Ferrari they intend to buy." In fact, all the Democrats, except for Kucinich, have mediocre health plans. Only Kucinich would create universal, non-profit, single-payer health care by extending Medicare to everyone.

It's worth noting that the policy positions of the Democratic candidates are fairly similar. Differences are primarily matters of emphasis. Most would index the minimum wage to inflation, shift taxes to higher-income Americans, support workers' rights to organize, prohibit insurers from rejecting patients based on pre-existing conditions, and end the war in Iraq. (Yes, there are differences: Richardson would withdraw all troops, Edwards would withdraw combat troops, and Obama and Clinton would keep residual forces.) All would protect the legality of abortion (and I hope, fight to allow Medicaid to fund them). These policy positions are important. But the Democratic positions are not different enough, in my view, to crown one candidate over others (except perhaps Kucinich, but he wouldn't stand a chance in the general election).

So I look to the President's other role: To represent the U.S. to ourselves (speaking at the World Trade Center, the Minnesota bridge collapse, the California forest fires) and to the world (Iraq policy, G8, UN talks on climate change). The President serves as a rallying officer, a public face. And I think the next face of the United States should be Barack Obama's. I like several other candidates, especially John Edwards and Bill Richardson. I like Edwards' concern for the little guy and Bill Richardson's down-to-earth style. In the wake of Bush's failures - missing WMDs, climate change, Katrina, Walter Reed, Justice Dept. firings - I need a government I can trust, or at least one that doesn't fill me with cynicism. I don't think Hillary and Slick Willy can do that. I'd also worry about our democracy if Hillary wins the presidency. Counting from 1980, when George H.W. Bush was elected VP, to 2012, when Hillary would finish her first term as President, we would have 32 uninterpreted years of two families in the executive branch.

So, most of all, Barack Obama inspires me. Bill Clinton said he didn't inhale. Obama said of course he inhaled: "That was the point." It sometimes feels silly to evaluate a candidate by his character - after all, who cares if Bill Clinton enjoyed blow-jobs in the Oval Office - but I think Obama's public conduct and frankness sets a good example for government. Other candidates frame themselves in partisan terms. I see Obama as more conciliatory and thus more effective. I see him as a person who'd actually be able to convince people to get an HIV test by getting one himself on TV.

Below are photos from The Stumping Grounds, a photo blog maintained by four photographers who follow the Iowa political season voraciously. I picked out a few to tell a story:

Barack Obama, fired up and ready to go [© Scout Tufankjian 2007]:


Hillary Clinton, doomed by dynasty [© Allison Joyce 2007]:


John Edwards, reaching out [© Joshua Lott 2007]:


Bill Richardson, noteworthy [© Carey Wagner 2007]:


Obama's example, for America's future [© Allison Joyce 2007]:

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Eli, I'm glad you could trust your readership with so personal of a decision. I appreciate your thoughts and reasons. I haven't even begun to make that decision yet, mainly because I'll be out of the country until the general election, meaning I'll have no say in the primaries. However, I do rely on posts like yours to help me evaluate for myself. Todah.

Ari said...

Eli,

Thank you for your frank evaluation. I have been largely disappointed by the health plans put forward that seek to bandage a system that is direly ailing and deserves a more fundamental reconstruction. Why endorse Obama if you think his plan is only slightly less mediocre than the others? Why is it "moderate," reasonable and "more electable" to do a half-assed job ensuring the health of hundreds of millions of people? Why are the plans being presented not bolder?

Eli said...

I know, Ari, these Democratic proposals are cowardly. The candidates are too timid to take on the insurance industry during an election year. Except for Kucinich, nobody (including supposed truth-talker Obama and the adversarial John Edwards) has been fully honest about it. Hillary Clinton, criticizing Obama, said today, "I don’t want to leave anybody out. I’m not running for president to put Band-aids on this problem. I’m running for president to solve it."

Of course that's garbage. So long as for-profit insurance companies are devoted to their bottom lines, corporate executives are going to make it difficult for people with expensive medical conditions to buy-in. Massachusetts may tout its program as "universal," but the plan leaves significant numbers UNDERinsured. To make insurance cheaper, the state deregulated the industry so certain services no longer have to be covered. Now we have, say, a woman who's required to purchase insurance, and the only one she can afford leaves out ob-gyn. Ridiculous!

Why am I supporting someone with a lousy health plan? First because I don't have much choice. I'd like to support Kucinich, but in my wildest dreams I don't see him winning the general election (though maybe I should be more of a dreamer). Second because health care reform, while very important to me, is ultimately one issue among many I care about, and Obama scores well on the others. In the meantime, I'm reluctantly shifting my health policy hopes to Congress. If we can lobby our legislators, one-by-one if necessary, to pass HR 676, expanding Medicare to all, I don't think a Democratic president would veto it.

ZT said...

Great analysis. I am struggling with exactly the same set of issues. Also in Obama's favor is that he has the best chance, i think, because of his charisma to inspire a generation of americans to his view of government as a solution to problems, and something that they should commit to service, somewhat like JFK for Dems, or the inverse of what Reagan did for a now middle-aged republicans.

Against him though, is that though his rhetoric and optimistic/hopeful spiel is very different his votes are quite like Hillary's. He talks a good game but hasn't delivered much. At least she is being honest about what she thinks, right?

Also against him is that he seems to take every chance to distance himself from progressives, liberals, and the blogosphere. Chris Bowers has been covering that well at mydd.com.

All this to say, i am generally supportive of Edwards and his populist act and Obama, but still have major doubts about both.

Eli said...

I hear you Zach. In the last few weeks, I've been writing articles for our bioethics newsletter on the excessive influence of the drug and insurance industries. And it makes me sick. It makes me hunger for a populist president, someone who's pissed off as hell about big business in Washington, just like I am. I know that's what Paul Krugman favors. Why? Because when people are feeling powerless, they often don't just want equality, they want to be king. But when I calm down, Obama's approach strikes me as more effective, even if the "different kind of politics" bit seems naive. I do waver, though. But I often return to thinking that the proper answer to the partisan years of Clinton-Bush era is not more partisanship.

I don't know what to say about Obama's distance from the progressive-left. General election positioning?

If you're like me, you want to remain undecided for as long as possible in the hopes that the candidates will pander to your interests in an attempt to win you over. I still feel some of that, so even though I'm declared (so to speak), I'm still listening.

Eli said...

I liked this commentary from the NYT's Matt Bai:

"Ten years of endless blather about the game of politics on cable TV have trained the most engaged American voters to handicap candidates rather than hear them, to pontificate about who might win rather than deciding whom they actually want to win. Voters seem to approach politics increasingly as pundits, and they look to poll numbers to tell them who’s electable and who isn’t, never stopping to realize that they are the ones who get to decide."

Unknown said...

I've put down some ideas related to the latter part of your post on The Row Boat. Thank you for what you say here!