Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fortune cookies from hell

A few days after the NYT ran a story on fortune cookies with "downbeat advice," I got one myself. My department ordered Chinese food for lunch today (yes, I know I live well).

My fortune read:

"Solid gains are possible today, but with a headache."
Another faculty member (who works in an ethics department no less) received:
"Before asking 'Am I doing things right?', ask yourself, 'Am I doing the right thing?'"
My health policy professor opened his cookie to find:
"You need to control your emotions. Keep them under wraps."

In bed?

Anyone have a favorite fortune?

5 comments:

Eli said...

One fortune mentioned in the NYT article suggests:

"It’s over your head now. Time to get some professional help."

An ethics consultation?

In any case, I'm pleased to post my third entry on cookies!

Eli said...

Check out this cool website where you can write your own fortune cookies. I wrote: "You will eat this cookie."

http://www.redkid.net/generator/fortune/

Anonymous said...

My elderly Aunt Margit always has us read the fortunes aloud, then add the words 'in bed'.

My father used to open the cookie, pretend to read the fortune, frown and say "you about to get a restaurant check for a lot of money".

Betsy Teutsch said...

We served Chinese food at my son's bar mitzvah. He had a good time imagining writing the fortunes, but we stuck with the one's provided. One I recall was "The Bar Mitzvah boy will grow very rich." in mitzvas, of course.

panvega said...

...xkcd!